As mentioned in the Trafalgar thread, I've been developing a new paper-patch load for shooting dirty in my rifles, withe the Roumanian Steyr-Martini serving as testbed. Testing has been ongoing for the last few months, with the 'rollout' during the Trafalgar meet. The load performed at least as well as my previous GG load, and better in some respects.
Load details as follows:
.470 NE Hornady brass, converted to no.2 Musket (lots of work...)
CCI BR2 primers
Swiss Fg, 2 drops at the 7.95 setting of my uniflow measure. why? This come right up to the neck of the case
Overpowder card wad
beeswax/lard grease cookie (SMLEBob's idea actually, I shamelessly copied his recipe) about 1 cm thick
Underbullet card wad
.450 bullet patched up to .459, sized to .458 - custom design, weight 540 grains: a long-shank bullet with a bluntish nose
The load was made for shooting dirty in military rifle competitions, blowtubing only - which it will do without loss of accuracy for 13+ shots.
During the Trafalgar, I shot is both at 500 and 200. 500 was not a good test, but it seemed to shoot OK if I had my wind-reading right (pretty hard...). However, at 200 I managed to shoot a 45, with potential for more, all flyers being called shots - either a wrong wind call, or a pulled shot.
Bottom line is that bullet, wad combination and load performed as they should, and I now have a match-ready no.2 Musket load for military rifle. I'm pretty sure this can be transposed to 577-450 too - tried a few shots in my WR ZAR carbine loaded the same way, and accuracy was pretty good. But I'll give that a few more tries...
Oh yes, a tip for you experimenting with PP, and something I learned the hard way... too long a patch will ruin accuracy, causing the odd flier. Shorter patches will definitely cure that issue: NEVER patch a bullet completely up to the ogive!